Sunday, January 9, 2011

This past Ma


Carroll St. (F, G)

7th Ave. (F, G)

York St. (F)

Morgan Ave. (L)*

Bedford Ave. (L)


This past May, One Story hosted our first fundraiser, where visual artists created original work based

on short stories from the magazine. In our new issue, “The Omega Point or Happy Birthday Baby,” the

reverse has happened–a writer has written a short story based on a collection of art. Personally, I

love to see different mediums riffing off each other this way, especially when the result is so

fantastic. And so now fellow readers, let’s all step back and roll out the red carpet and welcome A.M.

Homes to the pages of One Story.

When I was first introduced to A.M. Homes’s work, I was a bookseller in Massachusetts, and a friend

pressed a copy of her collection, The Saftey of Objects in my hands. I had never read a writer who

broke so many rules so well, and I tore through her other books: Jack, In A Country of Mothers, and The

End of Alice. Later, I waited for her new books to be released with great anticipation: Music for

Torching, Things You Should Know, This Book Will Save Your Life, and her memoir The Mistress’s

Daughter. She is hands-down one of my favorite authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment